Shop Foreman, Rail Operations
Responsible for oversight of rail operations and restoration projects at the North Carolina Transportation Museum Foundation's shop complex, with full oversight of all rail-related projects and volunteer activities within the shop. Position will report directly to the Chief Operating Officer with a dotted line to the Vice President of Rail Operations.
- Oversight of rail-related repairs, maintenance, and restoration projects within the shop
- Responsible for ordering and keeping adequate shop supplies on hand
- Primary communication link for volunteers on shop projects and programs
- Qualified train crew member (Brakeman or Conductor level) to serve as backup when necessary
- Complete all FRA and other essential reporting documents as required
- Assist other volunteer groups (automotive, aviation and interpretive) as necessary
- Assist with various special events throughout the year, to include weekend and evening hours.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Commitment to and knowledge of established safe operating conditions
- Expert mechanical knowledge of diesel locomotive operations, railroad rolling stock maintenance and restoration, i.e., brake systems, electrical systems, etc.
- Applicaple machinery and equipment certifications preferred, i.e., ability to operate a forklift, backhoe, welding equipment and other industrial machinery
- Working knowledge of common computer software applications (ex.: Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook)
- Exceptional communication skills at all levels of the organization
- Must have strong attention to detail, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Must be a team player and able to mediate conflict diplomatically
- Ability to lift heavy equipment and rail parts, operate heavy-duty machinery
- Work will also include frequent standing, bending, climbing, kneeling and reaching
- Work may be performed both inside and outside
- Work may involve exposure to cold/heat, and other elements contained in an industrial environment
Please apply by emailing resume, list of applicaple certifications and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission deadline is June 9, 2014.