Military Equipment Scheduled To Appear


40 & 8 Box Car
One of the Merci rail cars was given to each US state as a thank you from France after WWII. Each railcar came filled with goods from the different republics of France. They where called 40 & 8 cars because they could hold 40 men or 8 horses. The items that arrived with the car are located at the Museum of History in Raleigh.

Seaboard Airline #544
Constructed by the American Locomotive Company in March of 1918, this 2-10-0 “Decapod” type locomotive was originally built for the Russian State Railroad, but never delivered due to the Revolution of 1917. Before the locomotive could be used in the U.S, wider tires had to be installed since the Russian Railroads used 5-foot gauge, instead of 4 feet 8½ inches. It then became the property of the United States Railroad Administration, begun in 1917 to control the shipment of vital war supplies during World War I, primarily assigned as USRA #1088. After the war, the locomotive saw service on the Detroit, Toledo, and Ironton Railroad, and eventually went to the Seaboard Air Line Railroad. Numbered 544, the “decapod” was based in North Carolina around Hamlet and Raleigh. During the 1950s, these decapods were transferred to the Gainesville Midland, a Seaboard subsidiary in Georgia. The 544 was placed on display in Atlanta in 1965 and later sold to the North Carolina Railroad Company in 1980, which donated the locomotive to the State of North Carolina. The 544 was cosmetically restored in 1996 for display in the Roundhouse.

US Army Hospital Unit #89480
This car was built by the American Car and Foundry Company in 1945. These types of passenger cars were designed to transport wounded troops from Hospital Ships to Veteran Administration and civilian hospitals across the United States. The interior has a kitchen, receiving area, pharmacy, six trauma patient beds, thirty-six regular beds and quarters for the doctor and nurses. The hospital cars could be used in solid hospital car consists or as a single car attached to a passenger train. Due to its completion date of 1945, this car saw very little service in the Second World War. In the late 1940’s and early 1950’s, some cars, including the 89480, were shipped by transport ships to Korea to be used overseas. Photographs show these were also used to exchange wounded prisoners of war. The car was donated to the State of North Carolina in 1978. After a thorough restoration by NCTM volunteers, the car is open as a “walk through exhibit” to show visitors firsthand the purpose of an Army Hospital Car. It is currently on display in the last five bays of the Robert Julian Roundhouse.

Beaufort and Morehead #1860
This locomotive was built by the Fairbanks-Morse Company of Beloit, Wisconsin and is a model H-12-44 switcher locomotive. Fairbanks-Morse entered the locomotive business rather late, basing the power from their opposed-piston marine engines used in diesel submarines used during World War II. This locomotive was originally purchased by the US Army in the 1950s and used at the Sunny Point Military Ocean Terminal before being used to switch the Beaufort & Morehead City, and based in the Morehead City State Ports. Typical duties would consist of switching out cars brought in on the Atlantic & East Carolina Railway (Southern Railway/NS), working the ports in Morehead City, and switching out the storage tracks on nearby Radio Island. The NC Transportation Museum acquired the locomotive in 2004 after disposition from the State Ports Authority, and is used around the property when needed.

US Army Transportation Corps #7497
The 7497 was built by General Electric in 1943. The Armed Forces used these “45 tonner” locomotives in the US and overseas in rail yards switching cars or powering local, short distance freight trains. Authorized in 1943, the Transportation Corps moved men and material wherever needed around the world, previously managed by the Corps of Engineers. While not in conflict, the Transportation Corps uses these locomotives to switch military posts and supply depots. The 7497 was last assigned to Hill Air Force Base near Salt Lake City, Utah. The Federal Government donated the 7497 to the State of North Carolina in 1991. The locomotive, still in Transportation Corps paint, is serviceable, but cannot operate due to not being up to FRA guidelines. It is currently displayed in the last 5 bays of the Roundhouse.

US Navy #65-00556
This locomotive was built by the Davenport Locomotive Works in 1953. The 44-ton switcher was built for the United States Armed Services and saw duty with both the Army and Navy. It was retired in the late 1980s. Local Congressman Bill Hefner assisted the State of North Carolina in acquiring the locomotive from the Federal Surplus Depot in Maryland in 1990. Currently painted for service with the Navy, it is on loan to the NCTMF and used for switching purposes around the property.

Piedmont Airlines DC-3/Army Air Corp #41-21030
The Potomac Pacemaker was manufactured as a C-53 by Douglas Aircraft Company on March 20, 1942. It had the Air Corps number 41-21030. The C-53 is a version of the DC-3 with a maximum gross weight of 29,300 pounds. The Douglas serial number is 4900. During World War 11 this aircraft remained in the United States and on January 10, 1945, it was withdrawn from service and moved to the Reconstruction Finance Corporation.